Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Oops...

I have a relatively new customer in Canada who has been a great supporter of flyTie Clothing.  In the past 2-3 months I've customized 4 of my designs to her size and color preference.  The most recent creation was the red dress you see below.


(I customized a white version of this style for her as well.)

There's an interesting story behind this dress. I'll try to keep it brief:

Basically, she and I went back and forth via email over the course of two days discussing the colors she wanted for the dress and any particular arrangement of those colors that she may have preferred.  I even drew pictures using Microsoft Paint just to be absolutely certain that I understood what she was requesting.  When it was all said and done, I had it:  red as the main color with orange, beige, and red blocks in the bodice.  Remember...I had drawn a sketch in Paint that she approved.  It looked like the dress you see above.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Why, then, did I do this?:



Yes, you're seeing that correctly.  That is an ORANGE dress with orange, red, and beige in the bodice!! After all that back and forth to ensure I understood what she wanted and an approved drawing in Paint, I still mixed it up!  Nothing like this has happened before in the course of my designing.  Before I even emailed her the pictures, I realized what I had done.  The email went something like, "The dress is done!! Unfortunately, though, it's not what you requested!"  lol!

She was very understanding, and that same night I went and purchased more red fabric and did some switching around to create the right dress.  I then took some left-over pieces, the large orange bottom piece, and reassembled the orange dress.  My mom was here during all that chaos and decided she likes the orange dress, so it's for her.

I attribute the mix-up to the hectic week that I was having.  My family was here visiting, I was driving to Baton Rouge (45min-1hr. drive, one-way) 4 days that week to take a class, AND I was having various meetings for a small business development program that I'm a part of.  There was so much going on in addition to my filling custom orders, and when I went to get the fabric, I think my brain just tripped out on me.  (I neglected to take any notes along with me, since I knew what I was going for. Or so I thought.)


In the end, though, everything worked out just fine, and the dress made it to its destination in the correct form!

***************
Reminder:  Massive clearance going on right now through August 31! 


peace!

3 comments:

randy said...

Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you about a broken link on your site. Please email me back and I would be happy to point them out to you.

Thanks!

Randy
randydavis387@gmail.com

CarmenNC said...

I think everyone has had those 'what was I thinking' moments when it comes to making items. It's better when you catch it before the client does. Both dresses are beautiful.

Unknown said...

thank you! and you are so right. i always like to take pictures of custom items and send them to the customers to prevent sending them something they didn't order. i caught this before even sending her the pics, but if i hadn't caught it, hadn't sent pics, and had sent her that orange dress, i would have been too undone!!!!