Pages

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Process & Completion

This week I worked on and finished up another custom denim and African print Maxi skirt.   I really like how to colors and patterns came together in this one.



Someone gave me  really interesting information about the "faces" print.  She said it has a connection to an old region in Ethiopia.  I don't know much more than that, but it makes me curious to find out what it's all about.












 Close-up of the waistband. 


I like that one of my favorite shops to purchase fabric from sells various fabric in pieces in bundles that allow me to come up with pieces like this.   Each of the African print pieces in this skirt started out as an 18 X 22 inch fat quarter fabric piece which I cut up and sewed together to make long strips.  Those were then attached to pieces of dark and light denim pieces to create the patchwork effect.  

I also use flat felled seams on these for durability. Oh! And I always make them with pockets.  Over the last few years I've gotten into adding pockets to more pieces.  They really do come in handy at times.

This style can be custom ordered in the shop.  Fabric availability varies depending on what the supplier has in stock, but given the way that I construct these, I an definitely guarantee and original, one-of-a-kind garment.




***************

Don't forget to also check out the special offer currently happening on Etsy, where you can save 10% plus get free shipping in the US on all items marked SALE.  Just use code LOVE8 at checkout.

Watch this video for more info...







And shop! :)

Have a great weekend.
~

No comments: