Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Back in Stride

Yes, Maze and Frankie Beverly, I am. Hopefully for a while

So I've made it back from ATL safe and I guess sound. Despite some glitches along the way, I enjoyed myself. It never fails that when vacationing I don't wanna come back home. It was no different this time. There's just something about being away from my usual situation, free of any real responsibility. Yes, I am lazy. Ironically, though, (I think) I'm also quite responsible and hard-working. Go figure.

But it's nice to be back home in another year. Before leaving for my trip I was pretty much in a creative slump as far as clothing design ideas were concerned.This isn't uncommon, so it's no big deal. I've learned to just ride it out. Well, earlier this week I went in the sewing room determined to make something before exiting again. The red and white "picnic" dress you see to the left was the outcome. I can't recall where I got that fabric from, but I do remember that my initial reaction upon finding it in my stash was to give it away or something. Normally, though, when I let fabric that I think I have no use for sit there long enough, it eventually grows on me and ends up being used somehow. The dress is pretty simple (which is nothing new for me) and--even in its boldness--a bit plain withough some sprucing up. At least that's how I feel about it. The black belt was borrowed from this dress. And I think I works pretty well with my new bright lime green shoes picked up at a store in Hattiesburg, Mississippi (my traveling partner's original hometown) on the way back to Louisiana. . One lady's reaction when I wore them Monday: "Girl...them some wild shoes!!" Ha! It was great. To me they're just green shoes that I was attracted to. And it doesn't hurt that green is the color of growth and abundance..two things I'm working on and am grateful for.


Well, I hope all is well with everyone. I'm 4 or 5 posts behind on responding to comments, something I always enjoy doing. So in case I don't get to them, just know that I'm appreciative of anyone who takes the time to comment on my posts. The intention is to be back to regularly updating and tending to my blog within the coming week.


Have a lovely morning/afternoon/evening/night!


peace.

11 comments:

High Desert Diva said...

Welcome back!

I like the addition of the belt, and the shoes are fantastic!

ohthatgirl said...

So glad you're back and it sounds like you had a good getaway.

Must...have...your...shoes!

Unknown said...

I love the photo that includes your shoes. That is absolutely great. I am sorry that I missed you when you were in my hometown. Next time.

T.Allen said...

Everyone should have one pair of green shoes, and you should wear them with abandon-fashion smashion; green shoes stand alone! I love mine, all of them! :)

Welcome back, I'm grooving listening to the song you chose for your comeback!

Barbara said...

Yay! Glad you had a good time. You know you did if you were in no hurry to come back home.

That dress definitely reminds me of summer. A romantic picnic in the park =)

And in the Bay Area, those green shoes would be joined by an equally "wild" green belt, necklace, and earrings, lol.

Kim Caro said...

that's a cute dress. reminds me of Maryanne from Gilligans island

A Cuban In London said...

Confession time:

(sits down, pulls chair up closer to table, one hand on cheek whilst typing with the other one).

Gingham reminds me of the clothes I used to wear when I was little. Gingham shirts. Not a happy memory, I'm afraid. However, I love the cut and length of the dress and the belt gives it an air of authority, even a French attitude.

Great to have you back.

Greetings from London.

Anonymous said...

I love gingham. I'm not much of a shoe person, but even I can appreciate them.

GalleryJuana said...

Vacations are great, aren't they!
Love your green shoes. Wearing those would put me in a good mood every time.

please sir said...

Glad you made it back safe - look at that wonderful fabric! I am re-making my header with a similar pattern!

Unknown said...

thanks all for the comments! i just love my shoes. :-D

renee...i'll be back in the near future.

ms. bar b...yeah...i know how y'all do it in cali. or should i say "they". lol!

tameka...i agree. and you're right: fashion smashion. i'm proud to say that even as a designer!

cuban....so sorry to evoke such a sad memory! ha ha! *note to self: to gingham garments for men*

shannon...i'm not that big on shoes either. i mean...they're lovely to look at, but i don't own a whole lot. like you, though, i can appreciate these.

please sir...i'll be on the lookout!